Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Thursday, July 23, 2015

Finding Work

I'm developing another website related to Round Bend Press.

In this one I hope to draw some visitors who are writers and might need a little help with their manuscripts.  I'll ask for a negotiated, nominal fee. Maybe I'll throw in a publishing deal if I love the work and the writer is interested.

I'm more interested in finding some blossoming writers than making money, though I could certainly use a few more bucks now and again, which is why I now have a donate button at this site.

I've managed to do some decent editing on various projects unrelated to mine in recent years, and I think it may be time to put my skills to use--or attempt to.

I'm absolutely convinced I'm a better editor than a writer.  The proof is in a number of books I've helped RBP authors bring to fruition in the past.  I get jazzed when I read manuscripts that have the potential to evolve into something special.

Everyone needs an editor, I say.  Even the so-called geniuses have or had editors in their corner. Thomas Wolfe and Kerouac come to mind.  It's said Fitzgerald was an atrocious speller.

In a sense, writing is a solitary experience that can drive you nuts like solitary confinement in a jail. But the publishing end of the experience turns out to be collaborative, like a stage play or a jailbreak.

Someone has to be able to figure out what in the hell the writer is trying to say!  Even if that is as clear as a bartender's "last call," further work will usually be necessary.

Maybe someone out there will take a leap of faith and give me a shot while figuring out that I'm a very discerning, detail-oriented reader, if at times a sloppy writer who dashes off stuff here and there like an anonymous poster at any newspaper website.

My intent is to demonstrate when I mean business, I mean business.


TS

No comments:

Post a Comment