Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Water Polo: WTF?

How absurd.

I ran an errand this afternoon and stopped at a joint near my destination to say hello to an old acquaintance who once worked at yet another joint--us current and ex-bar jobbers get around--where he served me the occasional pint of cheap beer.

I don't drink quite the quantity that I did in the old days, so the visit was a short one, which was a good thing.  He was engrossed in the Olympics on television, watching of all things a goddamn water polo game between England and the United States.

This is what it has come to, a great American tragedy playing out right in front of my eyes.

Water polo.

Glancing at him watching the event I couldn't help but feel pity for him.

Water polo?

Jeezus be unto man, I cannot wait until this horseshit is over and football begins.  I too will be able to stick my nose in a television and ignore everyone around me.


TS

No comments:

Post a Comment