Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Thursday, August 30, 2012

The Games Begin

Following my annual tradition, I watched a couple of opening games of the college football season this evening.

I stayed with the Vanderbilt vs. No. 9 South Carolina game and was pulling for the underdogs from Nashville.  They almost pulled it off.

USC was helped by a non-call late in the game when a DB held a Vanderbilt receiver's arm on a fourth down pass.

The pass interference non-call cost Vandy a new series of downs and a chance to score the go ahead TD with just under two minutes remaining.

Too bad, but Vandy is much improved these days. The brainiac school has long been a constant doormat of the SEC.

The Washington State vs. BYU game is a penalty-marred affair at the half.  WSU looks awful.  It might be a long first year for Mike Leach, the eccentric WSU coach who did wonders at Texas Tech not long ago.

I've watched the highlights of the UCLA game as well; the Bruins appear to have finally found a quarterback in Brett Hundley.  The kid is fast and led the way as UCLA clobbered Rice, the other brainiac team that played tonight.

I'd like to see Vandy and Rice face off in a chess tournament next.  Pay money to see that.

I'll catch the Boise State vs. Michigan State game tomorrow night.  I can watch because the game is being played in East Lansing and not Boise where that stupid blue turf gives me a headache.


TS

No comments:

Post a Comment