Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Saturday, May 3, 2014

We Want Miami!!

I guess I'm not a big fan these days.  I watched the opening quarter of the Blazers vs. Rockets playoff game last night and grew exceedingly bored.

Odd, isn't it?  With the season and a playoff run on the line?  I woke up this morning and read the news of Damian Lillard's game-winning heroics.  Yea team!

Then I watched the highlights.  Good enough.

A couple of days ago, scouring the DVDs in the library, I found the first two seasons of  Boardwalk Empire, the HBO collaboration with Martin Scorsese (who knows better, at least in the theatrical sense, the peccadilloes of the American gangster historically?) and became absorbed with it in several different ways.

I've been watching this highly praised series with a critical eye, and while I like it generally I'm not completely convinced.  Not bad TV, but not up to the level of anything by David Simon, the ex-newspaper man turned television mogul.

Anyway, I was studying the program and forgot about my Portland Trail Blazers, who won game-six against Houston and advanced to the second round of the NBA playoffs.

First time in a long time.

Hooray!  The team's most passionate fans (which must be the majority of Portlanders) finally have something to cheer about.

I'll peek in occasionally.  I hope the finals are doable.

How about a Portland/Miami final?   Maybe Lillard can beat LeBron James head-to-head.  Not likely, but just maybe.


TS

No comments:

Post a Comment