Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Active Reading


The Richard Ben Cramer bio of Joe DiMaggio, a quirky book written in a kind of pseudo-illiterate vernacular that I guess is meant to reflect idioms of pre and post-WWII baseball life.  I picked this up because the author died a couple of months ago and I figured it was time I paid my respect.

And it is nearly baseball season again.

As I worked my way through the first half of Joe DiMaggio: The Hero's Life, I paused to take on Robert B. Parker's last novel, Sixkill.  A very thin plot driven by the late detective novelist's usual array of tricks and treats.

Sixkill is a Native American ex-football star who had a lesser game against Oregon in his final season before washing out behind booze and broads.

It was nice to see Parker's nod to the Oregon football franchise.

What a life I'm living, huh?  Working on little projects, buying time until my retirement kicks in next month, trying to stay sane amid the hue and cry.

Wouldn't have it any other way.

TS

No comments:

Post a Comment