Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Sunday, July 31, 2011

A Death in the Family


My youngest and last surviving sister died Monday. She was 71. Felt sick, went to hospital, died several hours later.

Pancreatic cancer. That stuff moves like lightening and kills quickly.

Awhile back I informed the large, extended family that I was done with funerals. I've been to too many. I've now lost six siblings, most of whom died in their mid-seventies.

So I didn't go to Bethel's funeral, held in my home town of Sweet Home, Oregon.

They're all buried there.

Suppose I will be too. My family founded that community. A big pile of bones rests in Gilliland Cemetery, on a hill naturally, overlooking Foster Reservoir.

Beautiful place. Too bad the end so seldom is.

Oh well...



TS

No comments:

Post a Comment