Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Next-- A Book of Poems by Charles Deemer



Photo of Deemer by his wife, Harriet.

With school out of the way (for now), it is time to move on to another project (or two). I'm looking forward this month to seeing the manuscript Charles Deemer is assembling for his new book of poems, "In My Old Age," which will appear soon as a Round Bend title.

I've seen many of the poems on Deemer's Writing Life II blog, and if you've followed my previous announcements regarding this collaboration, or you are a regular Deemer reader, you probably have as well. I've seen good, solid work from a West Coast artist I have known for 25 years.

I have no problem telling it the way I see it, of course. This book will be the best book of poems published in Portland this year. In fact, this might be the best book of poems published in Portland in the past one-hundred years.

Here is why I like the poems I've seen.

Language. Fuck the obscure and the "poetic" language of the "poets." Deemer is a writer. He is concerned with the truth, and he is concerned with getting there as quickly as possible. He is concerned with the truth, even if it turns out to be a lie. Direct, strong metaphors, humor, pathos, joy, all of it a sudden exposure of something universal in the human condition.

Economy, in other words, drives the writing. Get in, say something that thinking adults can grab hold of, and get out.

Above all else, that is the function of poetry.

Believe me. I've been in this game a long time and I know.



TS

No comments:

Post a Comment