Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Thursday, June 4, 2015

Optimism

The good weather arrived 24 hours early, throwing me into a sudden and unusual good mood.

I took a walk this afternoon, stopped in my neighborhood tavern and had a couple on the patio, soaked it all in.

I wasn't the only one in a better mood than usual.  Or perhaps I was, making me more accepting of others for a change.

Nah, we like the rare sunshine here in Oregon, where the summers are truly glorious.  Everyone capable of doing so gets jacked up for it, especially an early taste like this one.

I need sunshine these days. I understand now why older people head south in retirement, something I sort of laughed at when younger. I never got it together enough to do that, never purchased the rec vehicle that could save my ass during our rainy season, which come to think of it wasn't as bad this year what with climate change and all.

I've never wanted one of the gas guzzlers to drive all over hell, but to occasionally move and park and absorb new scenery every few months.

Anyway, it feels like an arrival, a rebirth for now, with ten days or more ahead scheduled for outrageously beautiful conditions.  That'll take us right to the edge of the solstice.

I know the drought in Cali is messing with people, but I don't mind the rain shortage myself.  Can't control nature--or what mankind is doing to it--like much else.


TS

No comments:

Post a Comment