Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

The Mavericks

I finally watched "The Battered Bastards of Baseball," the story of Bing and Kurt Russell's Portland Mavericks baseball team that played in Portland for four seasons, 1973-1977.

I included a chapter on the Mavericks in my history of baseball in Portland last summer just as this film was being released.

While I covered some of the highlights of the Russells' tenure here in Portland, the film provides an in-depth look at why the Mavericks flourished in Portland at a time when the city was written off as a baseball town.

Fantastic film, I watched it at Netflix.














TS

No comments:

Post a Comment