Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Monday, April 27, 2015

TV

I've dialed into a couple of television items thanks to my Netflix free trial.

The German production "Generation War," which CD has praised at his blog, is dang good, though it has been criticized in some circles for misrepresenting the extent of anti-semitism among Polish resistance fighters during WWII.  I'm not sure how much faith to place in either side of that debate, as it's just another example of the many holes in my understanding of the deeper nuances of the war.

Might be an area I need to investigate, as I have somewhat in terms of the French resistance and collaboration. (BTW, one of my favorite movies on that theme was Louis Malle's brilliant "Lacombe, Lucien.")

The other program on my mind is "Bloodline," a direct-to-Netflix series underwritten by Sony.  Set in the contemporary Florida Keys, it's a family saga with, among many fine costars, Sissy Spacek and Sam Shepard as mom and dad to a brood of a feuding/loving siblings.

Pretty standard fare thematically (few have done it as well as Shepard with True West), but this is very good television.

Shepard, whose acting usually underwhelms me, stretches out here--his best work yet.

Check out all of the above if you haven't already.


TS

No comments:

Post a Comment