Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

On Publishing Books

I must be nuts (o.k., I am nuts). I am completely enthralled by books, and particularly the books I'm publishing here at Round Bend Press. But let us just say books in general. They're magical. I always loved reading, a life long habit, I guess. There is so much to read and so little time, as true bibliophiles note. One will never have time to read all that is worthy.

Peck away at the big library list.

I like holding books, physically touching them. I like opening books up and looking at words and giving them a shot. Try to comprehend what someone else is saying. I know the person who wrote that book cares. I'll start the book. If it interests me I'll keep going. First and foremost, I'll give it a shot.

Few people I know are as enthralled by books in general as I am, however. And I mostly get yawns from the new people I meet and tell about RBP and this passion I have. You meet a little hostility at times.

It's odd. Some people are virulently opposed to books in general. "I don't read--" I hear that refrain a lot. It puzzles me. I can't imagine a life without books and reading. It fucking amazes me.

A new book (proof) came from Lulu today. A beauty by K.C. Bacon titled "Morandi's Bottles." Morandi was a mid-twentieth century Italian artist, an inspiration to K.C. The book has a gorgeous cover (a painting by K.C.) and forty highly accomplished poems. What's not to like about that?

Well, we're in an era of extreme anti-intellectualism in America now. Another refrain I hear a lot is, "I don't read poetry." "I wrote a poem," I once announced to a friend. "Oh, Christ!" she exclaimed. I thought this women had better sense. That is I thought she had a poetic sensibility. She worked in the theater for years, a notable director here in Portland. "Please, not poetry!" she said.

What a fucking bitch! Ha! Her hatred of poetry made me despise her. Lit love and hate!

I gave my business card to a new acquaintance the other day. He practically threw it back in my face. "What the fuck do I need with a press," he said. He worked in construction, a hard hat. I hate to generalize, but hard hats are fucking dumb!

No, I don't know very many people with the passion that I have for books. I guess that is why I make them and they don't.

They do other things. Good for them.

TS

No comments:

Post a Comment