Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Saturday, June 30, 2018

Yesterday's Gone














This feature by a kid at The Oregonian caught my eye because I've actually worked in a number of the establishments described in the article, and I've frequented nearly all of them at one time or another.

I could tell you dozens of stories about the owners, my co-workers and many of the patrons of these long-standing businesses.

Not all of it is pretty. Some of it could make you throw up your cocktail and tater tots and sober up in a heartbeat. Some of it might make you laugh.

Are you ready for my tales of drunkenness, madness, suicide and worker exploitation?  In other words, are you ready for the reality rather than the romanticism of Portland's bar culture?

I didn't think so. Therefore, I'll spare you.

BTW, the best bar in Portland from my perspective, because I worked there and because the owner paid a decent (livable) wage and implemented a profit-sharing incentive, didn't make this list.

To be fair, I've met some of the best people I know in bars, but I've met even more stupid people and greedy bastards who would rather rob you blind than acknowledge your humanity.


TS

No comments:

Post a Comment