Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Sunday, September 24, 2017

Take a Knee

My Oregon Ducks lost to an ASU team they should have beaten last evening.  Oregon's talent just isn't there yet, and it appears the team's first three opponents were more than awful.

Oregon will have difficulties all season.  Hoping for 6 wins and a low-level bowl, but nothing is guaranteed.

Most college teams stay in the locker room when the national anthem is played in college stadiums.  I wonder how many collegians would protest by remaining seated.

Today many pros knelt or remained seated during the anthem. Good, finally.

I hope the "take a knee" movement in the NFL continues and grows. I'd like to see more white players join their teammates in protest.

Jingoism in sports has long bothered me. I hate the national anthem and the crass unfurling of a field-sized flag prior to the games.

It's flat out stupid, and the "patriotic" people who support it are very, very stupid. It's not acceptable.

Trump is very, very stupid. He is not acceptable.  He's a very bad person.  Very bad.  Bad, bad...

A couple of anthem singers joined the protest, which was cool to see. One even gave the black power salute, a clinched fist raised, at the end of the song.

I support the protests rippling through the league now. It's past time.

Here's a piece I wrote last year, which pretty much says all I have to say on the matter for now.


TS

No comments:

Post a Comment