Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Now What?


With the college football season about to end  I'll soon have to transition into another form of sporting distraction.

It isn't easy for me because I'm not really a fan of millionaire basketball players (NBA). Professional football (NFL) puts me to sleep most of the time, though I attempt to watch the occasional game.

The 47th Super Bowl is around the corner.  I watched the first two or three, then lost interest for years and years.  I've watched a couple of those in the past decade, but can't remember who won or even played in them.

I don't care much for the hype around the Super Bowl.  It's loud and obnoxious, and of course it is at bottom meaningless.  That is the story of entertainment in general. An action movie and the Super Bowl have a lot in common; they're usually both immediately forgettable.

True artistry is difficult to find anywhere, particularly in sports and movies.  Particularly when you're older and your interest has ebbed because you've become a jaded personality.

I once loved college basketball, but I've sort of lost my day to day passion for that game as well.  I still like March Madness, but I don't follow the conferences like I used to.

The college game is really diluted these days.  The best players turn pro out of high school or after a year or two in the college game.

Kentucky started four freshmen and a sophomore last year and won the NCAA Tournament.  Then those players and the team's sixth man all turned pro.

I'd be very disappointed if I was a Kentucky fan.

I'm skimming the OSU/UO b-ball game tonight.  It's halftime.  Neither team looks very good.

I guess Arizona is the best Pac-12 team this year, coming back up from a few down years.  Back in the day, when Lute Olson led the program, the Wildcats were fun to watch.  They were always very good.

Today I couldn't tell you the name of one single player on the current Arizona team.  Same with UCLA.

Oh well...


TS

No comments:

Post a Comment