Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

McGovern

He had my vote.

He had the guts to admit a mistake:


"I accepted their scenario, though I was still disturbed. Only Senators Wayne Morse and Earnest Gruening voted against the Tonkin Resolution; they were truly right from the very start. My vote for the resolution is the one I most regret during my public career. It violated my own record against the Eisenhower resolution authorizing American action at presidential discretion in the Middle East. I should have known better than to be rationalized out of my conviction in the Tonkin case. Later I commiserated with Bill Fulbright; he was just telling Nelson and me what Johnson had told him. He was more than to make up for his own mistake in the turbulent years ahead. The lesson the Tonkin vote taught me -- never to trade what I see as a truth for a winking assurance in a back room -- probably explains why I now have a habit of speaking out publicly what some of my colleagues in the Senate prefer to say privately."


TS

No comments:

Post a Comment