Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Friday, August 5, 2011

Deconstructing Simons


Because he has a restless and inquiring mind and can leave no good deed undone, Deemer has taken a "chain saw" to my movie at his
archive website.

His reinterpretation of the material is bold as he finds what he refers to as "the spine of the story." From my point of view, and I should have one--right?--the title I gave the movie makes it the poet's story rather than the novelist's. I found the poet more interesting in other words and went with that.

Charles flips that on its ear to interesting effect. The story moves with blistering speed in his version. He shortened and deleted sequences that even I have doubts about.

Alas, in the end, I think it moves too fast, but who wants to quibble?

Aside from his interpretation of the material (the most interesting aspect of his work) we're really talking about differences in pacing between the two edits.

Thanks to Deemer I now have another image of what I want to do with the project, something that might be termed a middle path.

The work continues...


TS

No comments:

Post a Comment