Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Monday, April 4, 2011

Seasonal Dysfunction

I can't recall ever looking forward to the end of the Oregon rainy season as intensely as I am these days. I've had it with wetness. I'm at the end of my weather rope.

When I retire (which I'll never do in actuality) I think I'll move to a sunny place in Mexico to live out my days. It's a fantasy of mine, but an economically unfeasible one at this point.

I have a friend who too often reminds me that forecasters are calling for another wet late spring and early summer in the Pacific Northwest. Last year was awful, with a very wet May and above average rainfall in June. We're to get another dose this year evidently.

I have another friend, from Florida, who loves our pissy, gray skies and doesn't miss the heat and humidity of his native state. Thinks he's in heaven here. I think he'd go shirtless all the time if it was socially acceptable.

I've lived in Oregon for most of my life, with the exception of four years total, when I lived in San Francisco, which was nice and foggy (in the Richmond), and in New England with its pronounced four seasons (remarkable, really, I was always torn between my Oregon roots and New England's climate variety).

It's getting bad. And I'm getting older and more crotchety.

Mmmmm...Mexico.



TS

No comments:

Post a Comment